Magdalen College (pronounced “mordlin”) is one of the 38 constituent colleges of the University of Oxford. The College was founded in 1458 by William Waynflete, then Bishop of Winchester and Lord Chancellor. Waynflete’s vision for his College was a grand one and, by the time of his death in 1486, the foundation was the largest in the city, equipped with a beautiful set of buildings, 40 Fellows, 30 scholars, and its own choir.
Magdalen’s 550 year history is rich, and one interwoven with the stories of many important scholars, public figures, and musicians. The College has been sometime home to no fewer than 9 Nobel prize winners.
Today, as well as being a place of academic distinction, Magdalen is one of the most beautiful colleges in Oxford. Among its notable features are its famous Tower (which, standing at 44m, is the tallest in the city), its Deer Park, and its grounds and Botanic Garden.
Magdalen played an important role in the development of the study of the sciences at Oxford. In particular, the universally talented Charles Daubeny built the University’s very first teaching laboratory in 1847; the Daubeny Laboratory remains in use as a teaching and seminar space to this day.
Fittingly, the College also has a special connection to magnonics: James Griffiths, who made the first experimental measurements of ferromagnetic resonance in Oxford’s Clarendon Laboratory in 1946, spent his whole career at Magdalen. He was also the College’s President from 1968 to 1979.